Wednesday, December 6, 2023

What I'm Reading post for December 6, 2023

 

This week I read Seven Year Slip by Ashley Poston. It's a time-travely book set in New York City, which I have come to realize is my very favorite trope. I mean, I love the movie The Lake House, but it loses points for not being set in New York. Of course, there's no lake in New York, so it couldn't have been set there, but it's still a really good movie.

In Seven Year Slip, the heroine (Clementine) inherits an apartment that occasionally sends people back and forth in time, but only by seven years. She meets someone in the apartment who's living seven years in the past. And then meets him again in the present time. He has memories of all the times they'd interacted in the past, but she doesn't yet, because some of them are still in her future. 

The story is much less confusing than I'm making it sound. It's a really good book--even if the heroine has regrettable tastes in wine.  It also revolves around food, cooking, and publishing. So it's almost perfect. 

It reminds me of Casey McQuiston's One Last Stop, which I also loved. In that one, the magical apparatus that sends people back and forth in time is a subway car. 

And now I'm not going to be satisfied until I start writing my own time-travel book, damn it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment