Wednesday, December 13, 2023

What I'm Reading post for December 13, 2023


 This past week I read two books by Tessa Bailey--Wreck the Halls, which is a fun, sort-of-Christmas book that was recommended by Kelly Jamieson. We share a fondness for Christmas-in-NYC stories, like her latest release, Merry Pucking Christmas.  

To be honest, I found it a little hard to get into at first. Maybe because I've gotten so used to First Person/present tense POV--and this was Third Person/past tense. Which is all I read or wrote for YEARS. But eventually I loved it. So much so that I then went on to read Same Time Next Year. Which (I'm dating myself here) has nothing to do with the movie of the same name. 

This was a hockey book! So I was surprised that this wasn't the book Kelly recommended. And, I have to say that the hockey parts weren't as interesting to me as the hockey scenes in Kelly's books. I  mean...I don't even follow sports. AT ALL. But I'm a HUGE fan of her hockey players. 

This was also a cute book. But it opened with a scene set on December 31st 2023 and ends a year later on December 31st 2024. So that was a little time-trippy. It also HUGELY glossed over the difficulties inherent in getting a green card even when your marriage is legit. My son and daughter in law had to jump through SO MANY HOOPS and it took months and months and months before they could relax and stop worrying. Not to mention the fact that they apparently didn't get a marriage license?  

But, hey, like I  said, it's a cute story. I loved the relationship between the two MCs. And suspending my disbelief was easy. 

I struggled more with Amy Poston's chef-who-can't-stand-cilantro and heroine who prefers the taste of cheap wine. I can be perfectly happy with cheap wine, but I wouldn't actually say that I prefer it.


Christmas Angel
An Angels in the Afterlife Story

Being fully transparent is good for a relationship, right? Well, maybe not when it’s literal.

 

Christmas Angel is a second-chance, holiday romance with a celestial twist. Probationary angel Jake Hennessy's been sent back to earth to mend fences with his ex. Or has he? Certainly Tony doesn’t seem to think that's the case. 

 

Tony DiCecco might have ninety-nine problems—and then some—between dealing with his meddlesome family AND running the family business (a Christmas tree farm in rural Texas) but he's pretty sure that playing catch-up with his ex-husband isn’t supposed to be one of them. 

 

And what would even be the point? It’s hard to imagine what kind of future the two of them could have when one of them is alive and the other...isn't?


https://books2read.com/Christmas-Angel







 

No comments:

Post a Comment