Monday, April 8, 2024

Mug Shot Monday: Salt Lick BBQ Mug


 



What today's mug actually says is, "If you can read this then bring me some ribs."

I got it at Slat Lick BBQ in Driftwood, Texas, which is close to where I'll be viewing the eclipse today. Or not viewing it, given that I'm not sure I trust my eyes to some bits of paper and plastic that I picked up for under $2.00. Also, they're dark AF so it would be weird if I could see anything through them at all.

Honestly, it's not the sun itself I want to see, it's the shadow, it's the eeriness I keep hearing about. I've been curious about eclipses ever since I read Annie Dillard's essay on the one she viewed back in...1971, I think?

Anyway, you can check it out in her book, Teaching A Stone To Talk. Highly recommended.

The mug is nice and sturdy--and BIG. Which I really like. It's got a different sort of shape, a comfortable handle and I love the way it's glazed. Shiny black and white with nothing but naked, buff-colored clay on the bottom. 

The BBQ at Salt Lick is really good, too. So, who knows, maybe I'll end up going there for lunch. They're located right across the street from Fall Creek Vineyards, which has some interesting wines. 
Of course, with an estimated ONE MILLION visitors coming to the area to view the eclipse, I'll probably be lucky to get a table. Maybe I'll just plan on having a picnic, instead. 


No comments:

Post a Comment