Sunday, February 11, 2024

Mug Shot: All You Need is Love Mug


 

My daughter bought me this mug, years ago, when I first started writing Children of Night. What do vampires have to do with the Beatles, you ask? Well, for one thing, the first book in the series was set partially in the late 1960s. And, for another, the original tag line for the series was "All  you need is love...and a side of blood." 

But really, it was due to this scene between Conrad and Desert Rose:

“You want to be a vampire?” Conrad gazed at her askance. “What nonsense is this? Before tonight, you didn’t even believe vampires existed. Now, you wish to become one?”

Sitting up beside him, Desert Rose frowned. “It’s not nonsense. And I’ve known for months. Besides, that’s why I was asking questions, so I could learn what I didn’t know.”

“Ah, of course. I beg your pardon, mignonne,” Conrad responded with a laugh. “Two months of dread and denial and a handful of answers undoubtedly qualifies you to make such a momentous decision. My dear, how can you expect me to take such a request seriously? What makes you think you want to do such a thing anyway? As a way of life, it hardly recommends itself.”

Her mouth set in a stubborn line, she answered, “You know why I want it. I want it because of you. I’ve never known anyone like you before and I just…  well, don’t you want to be with me forever, too?”

Perhaps it would be better to lie and tell her that, no, he didn’t. But he was too selfish to do so. He couldn’t bear to deprive himself so soon of that look in her eyes, so tender and trusting, so certain to be transitory. He thought he’d lost it once, already. Surely, tomorrow would be soon enough to banish it again, and for all time. “Forever is a very long time, mignonne.” His heart ached as he remembered the last person he’d thought would love him that long. “And love, by itself, is not always enough.”

“Of course it is,” she said, sounding sulky and cross. “Don’t be silly, Conrad. It has to be. Don’t you know what they say? Love is all you need. I think that’s from the Bible or Shakespeare or something.” 

“No, I believe it’s the Beatles you’re quoting,” he replied, smiling wryly. “Which is not quite the same thing.”

She rolled her eyes. “Well, who cares who it was? That’s not the point anyway. How much did you know about being a vampire before you were turned? Why did you want to become one?”

“I didn’t,” he snapped, doing his best to tamp down the unreasoning rage the topic invariably engendered. “I knew nothing about them, nor did I want to, but I was given very little choice in the matter.”


 

In the Dark

Children of Night 1.0


When you live forever, a few mistakes are bound to happen

 

Vampire Conrad Quintano has been around for centuries -- long enough to know falling for a human is a terrible idea. Much less falling for adventure-seeking hippie Desert Rose and agreeing to raise her babies. 

 

Raised in virtual isolation, Marc and Julie Fischer have never known their unique status in the world. But once they're in San Francisco, the family reunion is nothing like they anticipated and they're thrust into a world they're completely unprepared for.


https://books2read.com/u/49nGpX


Releases Tomorrow!



https://books2read.com/RingRosie

No comments:

Post a Comment