Wednesday, November 29, 2023

What I'm Reading Wednesday post for November 29, 2023

 


This week I'm re-reading the Wilder Adventures series by Serena Bell. I needed something  that wasn't Christmas themed--bad timing, I know!  And also something that revolved around siblings working together (or not!) to save their family business. And this hit all the marks for what I need--something in the same general vicinity of what I'm working on, without being so close to it that it will derail my writing...or, in this case, my plotting and outlining...and also my curating, annotating and possible expansion of yet another short holiday novella that has nothing to do with the projects I'm supposedly working on atm.

Anyway...it's a cute series. I like how, all the way through the series, you get hints of what's happening (or going to happen) with the characters whose stories you haven't yet read. Too many series leave you without a clue who the other people are, or what their issues will be--probably because the author doesn't know yet, either. And sometimes that's fine, but other times, you'll have made your own conclusions and will end up being disappointed when what you've only imagined to be the case, doesn't work out. 

On the other hand, that's also usually good motivation to go out and write that story yourself. But it's distracting when you already have a full work docket. So...

It's a good series. Solid. Cute. Strictly contemporary. And I've got the Red Hott and Wilder Holiday story collection already lined up for when I finish it. It's a Christmas collection. Because you can't skip reading Christmas stories in December--not even when you just spent nearly the entire year reading and writing (and then re-writing) Christmas stories. 



No comments:

Post a Comment