Wednesday, November 22, 2023

What I'm Reading post for Wednesday November 22, 2023

 

I really wanted to post this last week, but life got in the way...as it so often tends to do. Anyway...I got the chance to read an advanced copy of Kelly Jamieson's new Christmas story, Merry Pucking Christmas, which I'd been dying to read since before it was even written. The idea is inspired. It could spark its own sub-genre. The new RH (which in this case stands for reverse HALLMARK). It's the story of a small-town girl who spends Christmas in the big city and LOVES it. 

Let's be transparent for a moment. I grew up within sight of New York City. I did all the city things as a kid. Shopping on Fifth Avenue with my mom or my grandmother. Attending matinees on Broadway. Visiting the zoo and all the museums--Modern Art, Natural History, etc. Riding the carousel in Central Park. My mom used to get her hair done by Mr. Patrick, who operated out of this fabulous loft with an entire wall of exposed brick. And yes, I was that weird kid who lusted after cool architecture at ten-years-old. My father had a business in the garment district, for a while, so we'd often stop by to see him, as well. Sometimes we'd eat dinner in the city, somewhere like Mama Leone's. I saw my first movie at Radio Center Music Hall (back when it offered movies AND a live stage show on a regular basis). For the purpose of full historical context, the movie in question was The Sons of Katie Elder...decent movie, IIRC, fabulous theme song (which I absolutely do remember. To. This. Day.) strangest effing title ever. I mean...yeah, okay, that's who it's about but not in the same way that Three Men and a Baby is.

Anyway...then I grew up and moved INTO the city. And, obviously, I rented and lived in a series of lofts, because who wouldn't?  And I did many more Christmas-in-the-City things. Including, although this was more a Winter-in-the-City thing, getting snowed in during a blizzard. And, if you're going to be stuck anywhere in a blizzard, NYC is the place to be! Just sayin'

All of which is a very long-winded way of saying I went into this story with very high expectations. And, Reader, they were exceeded!

This story is soooo cute. It's a perfect idea, perfectly executed. Everything is spot on and delightful. You're  getting all the feels of a small-town Hallmark Christmas story AND you're also getting all the excitement of Christmas in NYC all rolled into one. I can't think of any way it could get better. 

So, do yourself a favor and buy this book. And if you need more Christmas Romance (because, who doesn't?) Kelly is also taking part in this fun-sounding project (because I guess not every Christmas Romance has to be set in NYC...Not sure that's actually, true, but whatever jkjk) :



And if, after all of that, you still have room for MORE CHRISTMAS ROMANCE I hope you'll consider picking up a copy of Christmas Angel, which comes out on December 5th, and which is currently available for the pre-order price of only $0.99!  

This is my own  Hallmarkesque-but-NOT Christmas story, which I'm finding kind of adorable, if I do say so myself.




Being fully transparent is good for a relationship, right? Well, maybe not when it’s literal.

 

Christmas Angel is a second-chance, holiday romance with a celestial twist. Probationary angel Jake Hennessy's been sent back to earth to mend fences with his ex. Or has he? Certainly Tony doesn’t seem to think that's the case. 

 

Tony DiCecco might have ninety-nine problems—and then some—between dealing with his meddlesome family AND running the family business (a Christmas tree farm in rural Texas) but he's pretty sure that playing catch-up with his ex-husband isn’t supposed to be one of them. 

 

And what would even be the point? It’s hard to imagine what kind of future the two of them could have when one of them is alive and the other...isn't.




No comments:

Post a Comment