Monday, November 13, 2023

Mug Shot post: PEET'S COFFEE & TEA OAK LEAF & ACORN MUG YOSHIKO YAMAMOTO


 



I wrote six of the nine Oberon books while I was living in Berkeley. My children grew up there and for a long time I thought I'd be a lifelong resident. That didn't happen, but I think a part of me will always call it home. 

The he intersection of Vine and Walnut is especially poignant for me. It's where the Quaker Meeting House is located, across the street from the original Peet's Coffee location. I spent a lot of time in both places and fell in love with the whole Arts and Craft aesthetic--as you might have guessed from the font I've chosen to represent Oberon. Actually, now that I think of it, I was already in love with the style. My grandmother's home was an Arts and Craft cottage as was much of her furniture. Probably another reason why Berkeley always felt like home.

I've collected quite a few Peet's Coffee mugs over the years, but their collaboration with Yoshiko Yamamoto was always one of my favorites. During part of the time I lived there, Yamamoto's Arts & Craft Press was located in the shopping mall adjacent to Peet's. It was a magical time and a magical corner. Aftelier Perfumes is also located there, but that's a story for another day. 

This oak leaf and acorn mug is the only one of the collection I currently own. But I live in hope of acquiring some of the others sometime in the future. 

In the meantime, it's a lovely memory...


No comments:

Post a Comment