Wednesday, November 8, 2023

What I'm Reading post for November 8, 2023

This week I've been dividing my reading time between PNR Christmas stories and a RomCom-like fantasy, sword and sorcery,  sweet F/F not-quite-a-romance...at least, not so far. 

Let's start with the last one first. I'm not actually finished with Bookshops & Bonedust, which is sort of the second book in the Lattes & Legends series...except that it's the prequel to the first book in the series. So, you know, it's all out of order. 

In this story, we see Viv as a young and impulsive warrior orc who's stuck recovering from an injury in a tiny little seaside town called Murk. The tone is very similar to the first book, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It's a light, low-stakes adventure novel with books and pastries and a good pub thrown into the mix. I mean...having already read the follow-up book, we already know how this story is going to end for at least two of the characters. But it's cozy and comfortable and exactly the kind of book I wish I could write. Like a Piers Anthony Xanth book without any of the cringey, misogynistic, heteronormative parts. 

The author, Travis Baldree, lives in the Pacific Northwest. Piers Anthony lived in Florida in the 70s. Enough said.

By the way. Apparently it's being marketed as cozy fantasy. Which it is and that's perfect. But I love that because my books are generally their own unique genre blends as well, so it's nice to see one getting a little recognition. Having now finished the book, however, I can definitely say it's not a romance--not even a HFN romance. But, like I said earlier, we kind of knew that going in.




I love Christmas stories. I particularly love it when someone re-works a classic, magical Christmas story and ups the fantasy angle. Which is why I was so excited to discover Cynthia Eden's It's a Wonderful Werewolf and A Vampire's Christmas Carol. 

They were light, short reads. Low on suspense because, again, we know how these stories play out! And  maybe I found them a little too similar? Which isn't a fault of either book, but for maximum enjoyment maybe don't read them back to back? And there is that one angel trope in the Vampire book that I really don't like, but that's a personal issue and I'm sure plenty of other people love it. 

Oh, and by the way, my love for these kinds of stories extends to writing them, as well. Which is why you can currently find my Oberon-esque take on It's a Wonderful life  in this FREE antho:   





AND it's why you'll probably recognize all the Scrooge references in Christmas Angel--now available for pre-order. 



No comments:

Post a Comment