Monday, April 22, 2024

Mug Shot Monday: She Is This/Starbuck Collab Mug


 

So here's the thing. Did I really need to buy another new mug this morning? No I did not. I've been posting mugs every week for the past six months and have still only scratched the surface of my collection. Did I (even more specifically) really need to purchase another too-small, ceramic travel mug that's breakable, leakable, and not exactly insulated--you know, all the things I've been complaining about when it comes to my Sift mug? Oh, hell no. We know damn well I didn't. 

BUT...I've been seeing this mug for several weeks now. Every time I got my lavender oatmilk latte fix it's been there. Calling to me. Saying, "Pick me! Buy me! Take me home! You know you want to!"

I was at Target last week and there was only one left. When I went this morning, I told myself if it was still there, I was giving into temptation. Today was the day.  

Its vibrant colors are so bright and cheerful. The artist/designer (Shae Anthony, owner/founder of This Is She) had this to say about it:  “I want you to see that color grab you that you immediately feel happy.”  To which I can only say: Mission. Freaking. Accomplished.

We've had gray, gray, gray overcast weather all week. And I like foggy days, so that's not usually an issue for me, but it's muggy and indecisive--like the weather's thinking: "Feeling cloudy today. Might rain later. IDK." And I am OVER it. 

(Especially since those gray skies also came with a tornado warning, which--nope, nope, nope. Whole lotta nope. Don't come at me with that sorta shit. I don't have a basement to take shelter in. I have a closet under the stairs that's filled with boxes--that are largely filled with MUGS, btw, so I am fucked if it comes to that. Seriously. Give me earthquakes ANY day.) 

This is precisely the kind of weather (less the tornado watches--'cause Jersey weather doesn't do that to you either) that caused me to move to Southern California in the first place.  You rarely see this sort of weather in and around Los Angeles and then it's only in winter (and it's NOT muggy) and you find yourself humming California Dreamin' and feeling smug AF because even if the leaves are brown (they're actually not, btw) and the sky is gray you are safe and warm.

But I digress...

I love this mug. The designer attributes the color combination to the fact that she's "a ‘90s baby, and my style gravitates toward those kinds of colors and patterns." I am NOT a '90s baby, myself (in point of fact, I actually HAD a '90s baby). But those neon shades were also used extensively in the early '60s so I gravitate to them as well. 

In fact they're bringing up VIVID memories of my childhood. My dad had a dress factory (formal wear) and used to bring home scraps of neon-colored chiffon for me to play with. 

Actually...that's probably not why he brought them home, come to think of it, but that's what happened. 



No comments:

Post a Comment